Friday, November 17, 2006

Tonight there is an artist get-together for the Via Colori thing at Winter Street Studio... needless to say, over the last week I have actually started to get a feeling for my way around the area of Winter Street and Elder Street. Martin showed me a different way to get from Humble to Elder Street and it is a lot less complicated than the route I had been taking.

Saturday's schedule is looking like this:

9am - 12pm Via Colori
1pm - 6pm Art Crawl at Elder Street
7pm - 10pm Cigar Box Auction at M2 Gallery

No Problemo! right?!

Last night I stayed up at Elder Street working until 11:30pm. The studio that Tim Snider and I are sharing for the art crawl is a two-room place with a small bathroom. Tim has TONS of work he has amassed over the last few months so he is taking the main room and I am taking the smaller one. Most of the paintings I brought have been seen before, in fact, I am tired of looking at them and am really beginning not to like them. I know I was tired last night and in not such a great mood - my thoughts as I turned out the light to my room and took one last look around at my work was...damn! this looks like some kind of wanna-be artist's blue-light-special-garage-sale. I am so ready to wrap up present commitments and take some time to develop where I want to go next with my work. I hate being insecure about my work and envy those artists who just "know" they are good, never doubting themselves for a second - that would be so nice for a change.

At my insistance, my sister sent some great pics of herself, I have a portrait in mind i want to do of her and am looking forward to getting started on it. I'm going to paint her on a 3'x4' canvas. Cheryl and I had a discussion once about my attraction to painting women who have had a slightly-less-than-wholesome life, particularly when it comes to men. Of course, Ophelia & Leda are my two favorite fictional characters and i think it is appropriate to do paintings of Cheryl and myself within this context. I feel there is much of "me" in every painting i do of Ophelia and Leda, so now it is time to paint Cheryl and I can't wait to get started on it.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

I can't wait either, it's such a compliment that you would want to paint me. I've never been a muse before! Wooohooo!

Michael-Ann said...

Well then it is high-time :) You actually very much are a great muse...weird huh?! My own sister, indeed!

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...