Friday, November 10, 2006

Pensive thoughts about cheese toast.

When I was a wee-one in NJ still with my sis and my mom in the log-cabin-like house that had lilly-of-the-valley all over the backyard... my favorite food was grilled cheese and tomato soup... infact, my memories would like me to believe that the ONLY thing we ever ate back then was spaghetti noodles with butter (instead of sauce), grilled cheese and tomato soup, and the occasional bowl of oatmeal... i am pretty certain mom added a little more variety to our diet than just those three dishes, but THAT is what 5-year-old-me would like to have 43-year-old-me remember none the less.

Years later, upon first coming back to live with my mom, which happened to be one of the happiest days of all my days leading up to that point in time... I sat on the floor of her house (I don't recall much furniture in the living room) with her and her boyfriend and ate my very first piece of open-faced-broiled-cheesy-meltdown on RYE with odd seasonings hippifiedly thrown in the mix. IT WAS HEAVENLY!

Hence, I believe it was destiny to have this long-term love affair with my comfort-food of choice-cheese.

2 comments:

Biddie said...

Years later, when I was making "real" spaghetti sauce for those noodles, I always put in a small blob of Jiffy creamy peanut butter !!! I loved how it gave the sauce a richer background flavor and took out the bite that tomatoes can have.
When the kids finally caught me at it, there was much ado - but I still add the PB into my tomato sauce, even to this day ....

(Thank goodness, there was no peanut allergies in the family)

Michael-Ann said...

I recall you doing the same with chili?

Love ya Mom!

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...