Friday, July 10, 2009

Gustaf Emil Belin's Death Certificate








State of New York
Certificate and Record of Death
of
Emil Belin
Sex: Male
Color: White
Place of Death: 1590 St. Marks Ave.
Single, Married, Widowed or Divorced:
Married
Occupation: Carpenter
Birthplace: Sweden
How long in U.S.: Thirteen Years
How long a resident of New York City:
Thirteen Years
Character of premises, whether tenement, private, etc. If hotel, hospital, or other institution, state full title:
Private House 24
Father's Name: Carl Eric Belin
Father's Birthplace: Sweden
Mother's Maiden Name: Unknown
Mother's Birthplace: Sweden

I hereby certify that I attended the deceased from Sept. 1st 1906, to Nov. 29th 1906, that I last saw him alive on the Nov 28 day of 1906, that he died on the 29th day of November 1906, about 3 o'clock A.M., and to the best of my knowledge and belief, the cause of his death was as follows:
Uremic Cohma from acute Nephritis
Also, Tuberculosis Pulmonalis

Witness my hand this 29th day of November 1906
(Signature) Elias H. Bartley M.D.
(Residence) 65 S. Portland Ave.

Place of Burial: Evergreen
Date of Burial: Dec 2nd (or 22nd?)
Undertaker: A. F. Johnson
Place of Business: 376 Atlantic Ave.


So I have learned that Gustaf and Maria came to rest at the same cemetery (not next to each other it seems, but close enough, well... I suppose it doesn't really matter to them now.

I have also received the certificates for Maria (Svahn) Belin and Gunhilde Maria Belin. Both laid to rest in Evergreen Cemetery.

So Grandma Belin was right about Grandpa Belin having a younger sister. Gunhilde died (about a year after her father, Gustaf) at the age of 2yrs, 9mo. and 22 days on Nov. 3rd 1907 about 5 P.M. The little one's cause of death listed as: Tubercular meinngitis (yes, spelled like that)

4 comments:

Biddie said...

I'm so glad that you have found this info. Tuberculosis was a real problem back then ... Your grandfather (that I knew as Mr. Belin) seems to have been really fortunate to not have acquired TB also.

Michael-Ann said...

I agree! When I woke up this morning I had been dreaming about all this stuff. My thoughts were running through scenarios of life in the home of Maria and Gustaf, and how possibly Maria and Herbert could have managed NOT to get TB.

One thing is certain, life for many in America, was way more tough as recent as 80 years ago. What children lived through back then is astounding considering how children are excessively nurtured and coddled these days.

All of this research really fascinates me (I guess i might be stating the obvious) *grin*

Herb said...

M-A,

Wonderful Research!!!! I tried to get started down the road you have traveled years ago and rapidly gave it up! What a wonderful job you have done peeling away the layers of time and revealing our families past. Congratulations on a job well done or at least started...hmmmm I wonder what was going on in the 1500's.
Some time ago my Aunt Laura did a lot of research on the familys (Brewster) background. You might try to locate her daughter Nancy. Dee Dee might have an idea of where she is now. Nancy (my niece) would probably have kept her mother's work.
In the mean time once again Congrats on a job that has been very well done. You have immense patience! I am going to go through any old papers I have and if I find anything relating to the family I will send it down to you.
To the best of my knowledge the Swedish Athletic Club in Brooklyn was mostly involved with weights but the probably also worked with rings and anything else that required fairly large amounts of physical strength.....

Later and Kisses,

Pop

Michael-Ann said...

It means a lot to me for you to say that Dad... Thank you. I really do find it all quite fascinating.

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...