Sunday, June 28, 2009

When veggies have something to say...

... I think they do it with body language.

heirloom tomato

This one seems to be saying something about going through life with a stick up yer arse.

Somehow, in the tangled mess that was a decent heirloom tomato garden, this little fellow snuck by my daily searches. The branch he was on had grown up into a neighboring azalea and there i found him right smack on top resting in the middle of the bush.

On another note... geez louise it is hot! I've been doing my ritual coffee roasting this morning. Stocking up for the week ahead. I like to sit and watch the beans as they turn from green to brown, paying attention to the distinct cracking cycles they go through (some more distinct than others) and watching as they swell, turn satin-y, then just as they start to get their oily sheen I put the roaster in to cool mode. Just sitting out there on the porch, in the shade, with a slight breeze I still sweat as if in a freakin sauna. It's terrible!

Some of the grapes on my vine have started to turn purple, G and I tasted a couple, they are so SWEET! This year the vine produced enough grapes that even after the cardinals pick theirs I think we will still have enough to make something with. I'm starting to think perhaps not wine as I am not too fond of really sweet wines. Unless I can find a recipe for making wine with not-so-ripe green grapes... Maybe I'll just try to make grape jelly?

Speaking of growing and eating things, we are also thinking about getting a couple of olive trees. There is a sunny spot by the fence in the back yard that might be perfect for them, but will have to get some trash hauled to the dump first.

Today I plan to go to Home Depot and see what sort of cheap composting materials I can get. I'll also have to go by the feedstore and pick up a bale of hay.

2 comments:

Biddie said...

At least the little veg triumphed in spite of his difficult life - a proud member of the azalea neighborhood - azaleas are known for welcoming others - the only requirements are to be pleasant and colorful.

P.S. what is the hay for?

Michael-Ann said...

Each time you add to the compost heap you add a little of some kind of fine dry stuff (like pine shavings) and then add a layer of hay over the top. The idea is to keep food scraps from compacting to the point that air is unable to circulate within... if the air can't get in there, that's when you get the stinky-rotten-slimy stuff :-)

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...