Sunday, June 21, 2009

Happy Father's Day

We had a leisurely paced morning. I made an experimental omelet for G. Used smoke salmon, chives, capers, and goat cheese. Then drizzled hollandaise sauce (seasoned with a little dill) over the top... wasn't bad at all!

Each morning when I fill the dog bowls with fresh water I have been carrying the old out and using it to strategically water plants with. Every day I see people watering the hell out of their yards because of our lack of rainfall and all I can think is that we will soon be on watering restriction. Counties all around ours are currently under a burn ban, it is only a matter of time at this rate.

Squirrels have been peeling off the bark from all the trees in the yard. A neighbor speculated that they are looking for moisture trapped under the bark. I don't know if it is true, but I have never seen this behavior to such a degree before. Every morning I wander around the yard picking up the bark and throwing it away. Speaking of which, after talking to Chelsea the last time she came for a visit, I have decided to start composting again.

Last time, i had to stop because having food sitting around the house for any amount of time attracts ants. I'm going to figure out a slightly different arrangement this time. My last compost pile was awesome. I used information from the Humanure Book (sans the poop) and mid-winter had a beautiful steaming pile of cooking compost in the backyard. When I would dig around in it, was loaded with earth worms. I feel guilty about all the food scraps we waste from the parrots.

4 comments:

Biddie said...

Funny about you pouring the old dog water carefully on plants - I do the same thing - don't waste the water, it's too valuable!

I'm curious about the exfoliating bark - are you sure the squirrels are doing it -or- just looking for goodies after the bark has peeled back? After some quick reading of a couple of articles on the 'net, it seems that if a tree isn't diseased, that the process of shedding bark is very normal as the tree grows - and it is susposed to be more obvious in bigger trees than in smaller trees - and also more obvious in some types of trees than in others... curious - sort of like a snake shedding its skin.

I'm always amazed at your cooking adventures! I don't know where you inherited or gained that trait from. I know of no woman in my family line that was much interested in cooking besides you - maybe from my father - he used to get into some strange foods sometimes ....

Cheryl said...

Seems crazy that we have had rain every day for this month, and you've had none. I've also noticed shifts in the blooming times and growth patterns in my garden.

Another thing I've noticed is that the insect population has changed, meaning what's been eating my plants now versus what usually is.

More accurately the ratio of the insects I guess I should say. Maybe there is some tasty to squirrels insect or fungus beneath the bark that is more prevalent this year than usual?

The moisture from the sap does sound like a good theory.

I have wanted to do a compost pile but the bears make me too nervous. For some reason my encounters with them really freaked me out and I'm being super careful about not enticing them at all.

Are there working compost piles that you can create without recycled food? Hmmm, I'll have to look it up, I don't know.

Your cooking skills I gotta admit impress me too...I hate to cook and am truly pretty terrible at it. Nikolas must have inherited your cooking genes, he loves to cook and is really good at it. Funny, huh?

Ok, I've blathered on enough here...I have to go wash the dishes Feh!

Hope you get some rain soon :)

Michael-Ann said...

Hi Mom and Cheryl!

Cooking is my way of traveling the world :-) I go to "Half Price Books" and "Borders" with Gordy and find cool international cookbooks with lots of pics and information about the country it is representative of. When I cook, the smells and tastes make me feel as though I am getting a glimpse of the place (particularly the people) itself.

I'm not that great of a cook, but I do enjoy doing it.

Cheryl I think I would have to agree with you about not composting to avoid having big furry visitors... I still remember you telling me about the one eating dog food out of your car, and the one that stuck his head in your house window... geez!

Cheryl said...

Yep...stupid bears!

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...