Thursday, April 05, 2007

Big Fat Weeeenies!

Okay, THAT got your attention didn't it?!

Here's the deal: I was loitering over on The Science of Apathy blog when I noticed this post about Chicago's highly sought after hot dogs. I figured what the heck! I REALLY would like to get a bite on a good hot dog!

Frankly, folks down here in Texas don't seem to be able to get a grip on the whole weiner-thing... yeah, we have great BBQ, but when it comes to dawgs... well, lets just say your better off sticking to chorizo if you want to ingest flavorful bits of animal parts not normally considered part of the edible food spectrum.

ANYWAY, Mr. Apathy himself kindly passed along a link to a Chicago-based hot dawg place called Portillos. Temptation got the better of my good judgment about shipping perishable food stuffs and I just ordered myself a 10-pack of their prized dawgs! Man, I love the internet!

The order is due to be delivered next Friday, I will keep you posted on how it all goes. Cheers!

8 comments:

Jamie Lee Awesome said...

Week old mail order hot dogs?

Gross, mom!!

Michael-Ann said...

Ha ha! That WOULD be gross... but the deal is that I order them and choose the day I want them delivered and they ship two-day. :)

Carolyn said...

AWESOME ! the ideal american dream fulfilled by a little ol invention called: internet. thank you al gore! btu seriously, I'll be drooling to hear the outcome...!

Biddie said...

This makes me think of Omaha Steaks - they ship fancy, mad-cow free (guaranteed) beef and, of course, dawgs!! All comes in good quality styrofoam boxes with lots of dry ice on the top. Never could get myself excited about the dawgs - the beef was conveniently packaged in serving sized freezer-burn-proof wrappings.

But, the styrofoam containers sell at my local auction for several dollars each (that's nice!) and the dry ice, when dropped, sans wrapping, on fire ant mounds, kills thousands of the little monsters (that's very nice!).

Hope your Portillos are tasty .....

Mitch! said...

Uh huh right. Dawds are nice and all but do they ship with chili and cheese? That's what I'm talk'n about. Mmm Hmm

Mitch! said...

DAWGS

Brian said...

If the instructions that come with the package say to steam the buns, be sure to do so.

The buns that most places use are actually extra dry to accommodate steaming. Failure to do so results in a really, really dry bun that usually just falls apart...

Michael-Ann said...

Brian thanks fer that tip, I will be sure to bring a steamer to work on delivery day!

If all goes as well as I suspect, it makes sense to order up the bigger package and we will have ourselves a little hot dawg hoe-down in Humble town - EVERYONE's INVITED!!!!

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...