Sunday, February 04, 2007

The house is quiet

The cages clean, critters fed, truck unloaded, groceries gotten, news watched, night is dark, air is cool, silly old dawg is here next to me. Only thing left to do is wash the dishes and perhaps throw a load of clothes into the washer.

Speaking of old dawg, seems everyone is having dawg troubles! Last week I rushed our silly old dawg (12-year old Labrador Retriever) to the vet. He had been acting unusually restless for a couple days, then woke up one morning to watch him amble around and bump into cabinets as if he didn't see them. Took him out for his morning constitution and "the constitution part" was barely what a ferret might muster... we thought he might be blocked up. The vet thinks he has Cushings Disease, we have a follow up appointment this Tuesday, the same day I leave for Austin to work at a School technology conference. The vet assures us that this disease (common to old dawgs) is treatable and our old dawg will be fit as a fair fiddle in no time.
The strange part about all this is that the symptoms he had that concerned us weren't really addressed in the diagnosis. Ah well, we shall see Tuesday what the outcome is.

I am really glad that I remembered to have my suits dry cleaned last week as usually I am in a rush the day before I go out of town, scrambling to the store for the Dryell home dry-cleaning kit and it sure isn't as nice as having fresh-pressed attire from the cleaners.

Veering off on yet another tangent, I was "tagged" today by Stefanie Sigurdson of Ch.aoti.ca to list five reasons why I blog. The reasons have changed since I started doing this three years ago, but here's my five today:

  1. It is a great way to keep in touch with family and friends at times when we most likely would never do so otherwise.
  2. I hope that someone will discover my somewhat odd yet intriguing brilliance, HA!
  3. A need to share my art in the context of what is happening in my head.
  4. I like to meet people who can get past all my blather here and still feel the urge to interact with me.
  5. The pure desire to write something for the sake of just writing something.

Now I am supposed to tag someone else, however, I am not sure about who I know that would do this...so if you read this and you are inclined, I am tagging you! Jamie, Cheryl, Mom, Dad, Lori, Suzanne, Carolyn, Michelle, Mitch, Marc, Mike, Jeff... No pressure of course, but if it strikes yer fancy to elaborate...

Good night ya'll!

7 comments:

Jamie Lee Awesome said...

1) Insomnia begets blogging.
2) My brain doesn't have a "this is not important, keep it to yourself" filter
3) I like being publicly clever.
4) I like the clever things people say back.
5) Getting things outside of my head is infinitely more tranquil than if they stay in my head.

Carolyn said...

1) acknowleging my thought process to others validates that I ain't tooooo crazy....
2)I like to see my thoughts on paper where they are free to roam the web vs staying in my head and living in mediocrity
3)I amuse myself and like to share
4)what a great thing to do first thing in the morning while sipping a hot cup of coffee...kinda like starting an old car(my brain)on a cold morning and letting it run to warm up before charging full steam ahead into the day.
5)writing is fun!and I like exposing myself, literally...

Michael-Ann said...

HEY! Good morning Carolyn :) I just popped in to add more names... I hope that isn't cheating!!!!

I love how your analogy that it is like "warming an old car in the morning..." PERFECT!

Hootie... insomnia INDEED at 2:30 in the morning! You ARE clever, and tranquility is good :) wubbew

Carolyn said...

Good Morning Sunshine!! Have great day and safe journey to Austin manana!! Cheers!

Shelli said...

poor doggie!! hope he's ok!!

i'll take the "five challenge"! LOL
5) it's fun, i love writing!!
4) it's another form of creative expression.
3) like keeping a journal, only i'm alot more likely to blog than write in a notebk.
2) keep in touch w/ fam & friends.
1) free "PR" for paintings (if i ever get them on there!)

mike macgirvin said...

I started off doing this to save typing. It's a lot easier to write a weblog entry than duplicate the same info in twenty different emails to friends and family.

Later I used the weblog to try and attract uhm 'partners' during a long dry spell. Had about the same success rate as the local bar, which is to say about zero.

But over time I found a gift for looking at things in a slightly different light than everybody else. Everybody is talking about 'A' (some headline grabbing media spectacle), but did anybody notice this one little sentence, which profoundly affects your entire life? Does anybody care?

Alas, it turns out that as many people read my profound insights as the success rate at the local bar. So now I mostly write software that nobody uses to communicate profound thoughts that nobody reads.

Doesn't have a point of view,
Knows not where he's going to.
Isn't he a bit like you and me?
-- Lennon/McCartney

Biddie said...

My fascination with writing began back in 1st grade as I was learning how to print words. I made the connection that for every thought, there was some word or group of words that could appear on paper which would echo what was in my head. And so it was tangible proof that "thought" existed. I loved seeing words appearing out of letters and then ideas out of words.

The first aspect of it was the hand-written word, driven by a person's own coordination and conscious control of the pen/pencil. Then, as I got older and the joints hurt holding a pen/pencil, typing at the keyboard had to become a substitute.

But, however, entering this public domain was not easy for me since I have tended to keep my own "thrashings" to myself. But seeing how others can throw themselves to the world so and no matter what, usually it is accepted, I've decided to try to join the action ....

Since I live so far from the kids, it has always been difficult to just chit-chat. Phone-time was too expensive to waste on silly, quirky or moody things - this has been a way to get to know my kids in other dimensions since they've grown up.

I like seeing the range of personalities that are willing to open up to each other about things going on in their heads and hearts. Living out here in the forest with few people around, but lots of animals, makes for somewhat limited daily verbal exchanges - wooof and meooow go only so far!

To Mike Mac: About your sentence reflecting on your software efforts -- I had to chuckle! I used to think about all my efforts to write bug-free work-horse user-friendly code, no matter how much more difficult it made it for me with all those "worlds", "gears" and "side-steps" living in my mind and nobody would ever know them (except for some future poor maintenance programmer making some adaptations). How different my personality might have been if I had been forced to put that much effort into actual human communication - perhaps better late than never ....

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...