Thursday, February 22, 2007

A Crow Left of the Murder

I'm starting to get a great big complex. I've made the run to downtown Houston three times now answering the call to duty and all three times I have been turned away with all my hopes of giving back to my community dashed. I have tried different attire (from office-casual to polished corporate monkey) AND verily conveyed different attitudes: the concerned/interested citizen, apathetic attendee, and the slightly-annoyed and certainly-inconvenienced busy person.

No takers.

What the hell is it about me that doesn't meet the demographic requirement for being on a jury????

When it comes to the little town I live in, I don't think they EVER have an actual case come to trial as without fail our really cool Harley Davidson-riding judge (who's name I can't remember) ALWAYS lets us go with some witty bit about not telling our bosses and just having the rest of the day off from work.

On another note...A local musician who is a DELIGHT to see and hear playing, Marc Twyman DBA Marc Twyman's One Man Electric Blues Band made the Houston Chronicle today. The Chronicle's website has podcasted his interview.

I love Marc's description of his band:

Members:
• Marc Twyman's Left Toe -- bass
• Marc Twyman -- guitar
• Marc Twyman's Right Foot -- bass drum and snare drum
• Marc Twyman -- vocals and harmonica
• Marc Twyman -- equipment manager
• Marc Twyman -- booking agent

Web site: www.marctwyman.freeservers.com

Go see the write-up and click on the podcast link to hear the interview. The Chronicle did a great job of mixing his music with the dialog.

4 comments:

Shelli said...

well, Boo, count yourself lucky you didn't get picked. believe me, i've been in juries both in Houston and Pearland and it "ain't no picnic!" LOL
and speaking of being in the paper. our own Mitch and Carolyn made the front page of this week's Leader newspaper! woo hoo!!

Biddie said...

You've inherited that special something from your mother, at least.
Those jury selectors have "radar" and they pick up on your vibes as being too independent, too analytical, too spacy (not all necessarily at one time). Also, your job sometimes makes them decide against selecting you.

In all the years in Galveston, I was sent 7 jury duty letters - only selected once (thank goodness). It was very frustrating because of the verbal nuances, double-leveled questions and lack of some very important questions - and you can't raise your hand and get them to ask a question better or even ask a question of your own. Lawyers play such clever and devious games and you can't stop them ....

Becky C. said...

I always have wanted to sit on a jury. But I always get kicked out cos I have a law degree. They are afraid I'll let the jury in on the fact that everyone in the courtroom is lying--and the judge knows it.

But, do not feel too bad-- they almost always throw off the intelligent.

When I was a prosecutor my boss wanted me to dress up (or down you might say) for the guys on the jury. I told him as much I wanted to castrate the defendants (I prosecuted primarily sex offenders and domestic violence) I didn't want it on my conscience that some guy was sent away cos a sex muffin was representing the state.

~Becky

Cheryl said...

Have any of you ever read "The Runaway Jury"? It deals with all the machinations involved with "stacking" a jury so speak. Also, I was able to see first hand the back stage maneuvering involved during a case when I traveled with Dad as he was testifying about RFI & it's impact upon breathalyzer results. It amazed me how much of a case is handled outside a courtroom. Becky, I admire your principles.

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...