Tuesday, June 05, 2007

How To (or NOT) Write a Users Manual

AAAaaaaRRRgggHHHhhhh... There! Had to get that out of my system.

When I am not pretending to be an artist I work for a software company. The job helps me to afford pretending to be an artist after 5pm M-F and on most weekends.

The last couple of weeks I have been in charge of re-writing/designing the updated users manual for the software product the company sells. So in between tech-support calls, marketing pieces, trade-show signage, new product design discussions, and picking my nose I have been locked away in my cubicle trying to write the manual. This is no easy task for me!

I take this documention very seriously. To me, the users manual is your one real chance outside the software itself to prove to a befuddled user that YES infact, the software IS easy to use.

Finding the balance between instructions that are clear and concise, giving the user enough information so as to understand what the heck it is all about, and structuring it in such a way that it visually not too overwhelming, is a fine act to pull off.

Don't get me wrong - what ever I finish will be far from complete. Anyone who has read my blog entries knows my spelling and grammar is *eh-hem* somewhat lacking. After me, the document will go to our Master of the English language for a manicure.

The point of this entry is what? Well, just that I needed to say: Man will I be glad when I'm done with this thing!

6 comments:

mike macgirvin said...

In ruining the software one must press the Start button. Please your patience until services unite. Do not advised to press the Stop button as this will fault the program and may cause serious death or damage.

Shelli said...

if anyone can do it, YOU can!!!
you're the WOMAN for the task!
sure was good seein ya Sat!!!

Michael-Ann said...

HA HAAAA! Mike is that an industry-standard type manual??

Meeshellll Ma belle... hugs and kisses to you... it was loverly being in the sunshine of your close proximity :)

Shelli said...

what a way w/ words! this sunshine would love to shine on your close proximity way more often!!!
LOL

Biddie said...

I used to have to write documentation - what were clear instructions for me were not necessarily so for others - it was a trip to change mindsets ... good luck!

Anonymous said...

Writing manuals is like being the actor, the director and the audience at the same time :)

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...