Wednesday, June 27, 2007

blech

I am sorry to be quiet... have been in a funk...started working on my cat "problem" and lets just say I have a lot of trouble dealing with this stuff...still when I think of having to euthanize I cry. I just can't deal with being the thing that connects these critters directly to their death.

I could not bring myself to take them to the SPCA where they would sit in some kennel scared shitless until abruptly being snatched up for their final procedure... so took them to a vet instead. He was very good...quick...kind... and he was very supportive of what I was doing.

I have another apointment on Friday for getting two females fixed and will continue slowly to take care of my out-of-control feral cat colony. I am ashamed it got this out of control, in my defense it happens quickly... blech.

7 comments:

JaneDoughnut said...

I'm sorry to hear that. You're doing the right thing for your neighborhood though... even if it doesn't make you feel any better about it.

Michael-Ann said...

thanks Jane.. the kicker is it was the "neighborhood" who dumped their cats at my house and started the whole thing.

Mitch said...

How ya holding up there? So sorry you had to do this.

mike macgirvin said...

We did our share of feral cat rescue last year. If you're predisposed to such things, it's a never ending and thankless job. Found homes for nine. We brought four cats and two dogs with us to the outback. Oh, yeah - and the horse. He's coming next week. I seem to vaguely recall putting one or two cats to sleep that were in real bad shape, but I've blocked it out. Life goes on (for the living). It's like the poor people in India or Rwanda. You just can't save 'em all.

GeologyJoe said...

Putting any animal down is a bummer. I can relate.

Your post reminds me when I was at the Coliseum in Rome. It seems that feral cats outnumber the tourists, and there are Italian lady's feeding the cats daily.

paisley said...

well you could still box 'em up and send them to me!!!!!

Michael-Ann said...

:) thanks a bunch for all your good thoughts... means a lot to me y'all.

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...