Monday, June 14, 2010

Sad discovery

A momma raccoon has been bringing her 4 babies here at night to eat for the last couple weeks. This morning the neighbor and I discovered one of the young had gotten its foot stuck in the "Y" of a tree. Despite the struggle it must have put up the poor little thing died hanging there only three feet off the ground. My heart breaks imagining how long it hung there before it eventually died. I wish I had discovered it sooner and could have saved it.

Last week Kate and I decided to get together today and paint something. Unfortunately, her AC went on the fritz and she is having to wait for the AC guy (with a typical ETA of anytime before 4pm-ish). So we have tentatively postponed it until tomorrow, it's just as well because I realized I have birdee bread to bake and frankly, after the awful discovery of that little raccoon I am feeling kinda shitty.

2 comments:

Cheryl said...

Ah that sucks! The only consolation I can offer is that perhaps that coon might have broke out in rabies or a really bad attitude somewhere down the road so Mother Nature stepped in and nipped it in the bud.
I'm a big believer in karma, perhaps that coon was Mengele in a past life and here he was reincarnated as a baby raccoon hung up in a tree learning first hand how it feels to be trapped and consigned to a fate beyond your control.
Or not, but it is a hard world out there and it's important that people like you that see things beyond what most folks see in their everyday lives continue to put it out there.
To question, explain, wonder, and express ~ that is an artist's role and that is what this world needs more of!
I say to hell with the birdee bread (let them eat cake) and get to painting!

Biddie said...

Oh, Michael-Ann - so sorry to read about that poor little baby raccoon! It makes me shutter inside to think how long it must have struggled there. What a terrible fluke of an accident.

Hope you get a chance to do your painting session tomorrow. What are you going to paint? Each other? (( grin ))

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...