Friday, October 09, 2009

Wazzhappenin here

Well... at the top of the list is we heard from G Jr. this morning who is now back in Kuwait and preparing to head to his base out just off the Tigris river, near the border of Iraq and Iran. He was eligible to get out of the army at the end of this month, however the army always reserves the right (and usually exercises that right) to extend a soldier's enlistment time until they are done with you. G Jr will be over there for a year. We already feel anxious and miss him.

Gordy and I have decided to be a little radical and paint our house in what we like to call a "Caribbean" style. I haven't admitted to G just yet that I am a little hesitant about our color choices, but hell, it's just paint, we can change it eventually. Behr has a neat little app on their website that allows you to play around with color choices and see them on various styles of houses. Once you think you have decided on something you can order little 8 oz samples of the paint for about $7 bucks a piece. I received my three samples yesterday and couldn't wait to see what it was going to look like. Along with the paint samples Behr sends a little paint-roller with little roller trays, so during my lunch break i painted a small area of the backside of the house.

Hmmm...
This picture doesn't do a good job of showing the actual colors. Actually, the colors look kinda yucky in the picture. In real life they are definitely "bold" but I have come to like them, i think. sure i do... yep.

Last weekend one of my little yard projects was to get some dog-proof containers and plant some veggies in one of the areas that is now open to sunlight. I planted tomatoes, romaine lettuce, zucchini, brussel sprouts, cabbage, collard greens, along with a few herbs: dill, oregano, basil, and mint.

buckets o' food

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

If you think of it, please let Gordy Jr. know that he is in my thoughts. I really enjoyed the few times I got to talk with him, and was impressed by what a smart and sensitive kid he was.

Wow, your colors are bold but I think they flow well with you and Gordy's vibrant personalities, and the tropical feel to your gardens. It looks like happy people there :) Makes me rethink the gray/green color scheme I've been planning on for our house.

That surprised me that you can start a container garden this time of year, but I guess if I think about it, it makes perfect sense down there as you don't have to worry about it scorching out from the summer heat. How nice to be able to wander in the back yard and pick fresh veggies :) Also, a very nice and ingenious use of the space.

Cheryl said...

Oops, I meant to say "it looks like happy people live there"...dang it.

Michael-Ann said...

I sure will pass on your sentiments to G Jr!

About them thar colors...HmmYah... I keep looking at the little patch on the back-side of the house trying to figure out if I am REALLY okay with this. It seems your place lends itself to the possibility of some really creative color schemes.

We shall see about those container gardens. I've never tried to do this before. As a general rule of thumb i try to stay away from potted things because I always manage to kill them. Jamie gave me a coffee plant for Christmas that not only is still alive, but evens seems to be almost thriving... it has given me false hope that perhaps I've moved up a notch in my care-giving abilities :-)

Cheryl said...

The problem I have being creative with colors is that even though I have only a couple of neighbors they are firmly entrenched in a conservative New England state of mind.

One's a probate judge here in town, and the other is her son. Yep, they love us. It seems they spend more time watching what is going on in our yard, then anything else.

Feh!

Biddie said...

Sorry to hear that Gordy Jr.'s stay has been extended for another year - I'm not surprised. The military is probably fairly anxious to keep as many actives as possible. Please let him know that I wish him well also ...

Interesting garden - you sure hopped into it!! You have a lot more courage than I with your variety - gardening chicken that I am, I would have only tried it with a single tomato plant. You're in gardening zone 9 over there so it just might work out - but keep some covers handy JIC!! Those containers are neat looking - where did you get them?

I love cheery colors on a house - the blue door is beautiful but (( grin )) I think your screamin' zonker yellow on the whole house might take off and start glowing in the dark !!

Cheryl - If your neighbors are going to constantly peek into your yard, give them some happy colors to marvel over that still qualify for the far side of NE conservative but make your heart (and the house's heart) feel happy!!

Biddie said...

Blurble burble - I'm off to the ckout dive .....

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...