Thursday, October 22, 2009

Going to Austin this Friday night

Inside of Chelsea's VW. She built this with her father. I thought I had a pic of the outside, but I can't find it.

I've rented the smallest U-Haul Truck I could find along with a car carrier so that I can bring Chelsea her old Volkswagon. I haven't driven a truck and trailer since back in the 80's so I am a wee-bit apprehensive, but I'm sure I'll do okay. I had hoped that I could get away with only renting a trailer, but as it turns out our truck isn't rated to carry just the trailer without having a weight distributing hitch installed.

Chelsea is going to have to drive me home on Sunday because U-Haul charges an additional fee of .99 cents a mile if you return with the truck and trailer. If it's a one-way trip to Austin and I drop the truck and trailer there, the mileage fee is waved. How strange is that?

6 comments:

Cheryl said...

Road trip!! Woohoo!! Tell the girls I said hello :) You are much braver than I am...I don't do highways, much less pulling a trailer. Hope you have fun, and be safe.

Biddie said...

(( grin )) a good-looking car inside, for sure!!

Have a great trip but take your time and be careful!!!!! How long of a drive is it for you?

Be sure to say "hello" to the crew from me also ....

Michael-Ann said...

Thanks :-) I really do like road-tripping! As long as I can manage NOT having to back into/out of anywhere I think i'll be okay.

I will definitely tell the girls you said Hello!

The trip to Austin is about 4 hours for me, I'm guessing since I will have to keep it at 55mph it might take a little longer than that.

Kristen said...

have a good trip, just make sure you always pull into a spot that you can drive right through and you will not have any trouble. If you do however get stuck where you have to back up, don't panic... you can back up with that trailer, just go REALLY slow and turn the wheel in the opposite direction. We used to have a small trailer that I practiced on in our drive way and now I can back up any trailer, some of the bigger ones are not that easy but keeping it slow helps a lot.

Kristen said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristen said...

I did a ditto post, deleted the 2nd oops!

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...