Sunday, October 04, 2009

Homemade Rain Catcher


Used a "Brute" contractor-grade garbage can. The spigot is a 1/2" PVC ball valve so that a standard hose could be attached.

This isn't going to be tied into a downspout, I'm going to place it near my working compost. Hopefully get enough rain to keep the compost pile moist when I need to.

Garbage can: $30
Spigot and PVC couplings: $5
2 washers: 54 cents

Since I had the screen and glue already, total cost today was $35.54

I hope it holds up okay and fulfills its intended purpose well-enough.

I'm going to stick a potted plant on the center of the lid to "purty" it up some.


Here's another pic of the lid:


Lid of Rain Catcher

5 comments:

Biddie said...

Hi Dear - looks good! But I'm a little confused by the screen-thing at the top - did you have to cut part of the top out? What are those little circles in the screen?

Michael-Ann said...

Hi Mom :-) The lid came with a recessed area, with the center circle raised. It was perfect for laying a piece of screen into the recessed area. I just cut the screen in a circle, with a circle cut out of the middle.

I drilled 7/8" holes around recessed area before I placed the screen on top.

I'm not sure if my description makes sense. I'll update this post with a pic of the lid and see if the visual helps.

Cheryl said...

What a great idea, you crafty little minkey :)

Herb said...

Hey Child..... Remember that the hose nozzel must be no higher and really a little lower than the surface of the water in the bbl or nothing will come out. Might be good if you could elevate the bbl a little. Remember that H2O weighs 7 or so lbs/gallon so make sure that the support can hold the weight.... Neat Idea.

Also a flared plastic sheet collar around the top would greatly increase its capture aperture and you would gather a lot more water.

Michael-Ann said...

Hi Dad, I like your idea with the plastic sheet collar, with all the rain we have been having the accumulation of water has been disappointingly slow.

I placed it on top of two cinder blocks, will post a pic to see what you think if you have a chance. I do think I should have installed the spigot at least an inch, maybe even two inches lower.

I had noticed that other rain-catcher's didn't place the spigot at the bottom and had assumed it was to keep it above the level of debris that might collect in the bottom of the barrel, I feel I over-compensated.

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...