Tuesday, August 01, 2017

Macular degenaration and Stir fry

So I went back to the eye doc for a follow up on the fluid that had been trapped under the conjunctiva of my left eye and it had reduced quite a bit. While I was there I had my regular yearly checkup. It has been a year since they told me that I was beginning to get cataracts, and now a new old age thing has been added to my list of eye issues: macular degeneration. This is one I knew I had a high probability of getting from DNA analysis, however, I truly hoped it would be something that did not express. I have started to take Lutein & Zeaxanthin supplements every day.

Here's a decent writeup of the two carotenoids: https://www.aoa.org/patients-and-public/caring-for-your-vision/diet-and-nutrition/lutein?sso=y

Yesterday, I made a beef with basil stir fry that was pretty good. One thing that bothered me was how the beef stuck to my stainless steel wok when I was trying to brown it. It led me to read up on why stuff sticks to metal pans and I found a pretty good explanation:

http://www.scienceofcooking.com/why_food_sticks.htm

Oh, and here's the link to the beef with basil stir fry recipe: http://thewoksoflife.com/2015/06/thai-basil-beef-pad-gra-prow/

I'm going to make another stir fry dish tonight, Chicken (with broccoli and mushrooms) in a garlic sauce.

https://therecipecritic.com/2017/02/garlic-chicken-stir-fry/

I've been sweeping the driveway and street in front of the house for days because the Crepe Myrtle's are dropping their flowers like crazy and the flowers stain everything a dirty brown. It's so hot outside that by the time I finish sweeping I am drenched in sweat. The Nubby Buddha cats pass the hot days laying on the ground to stay cool. The kittens that showed up have been battling with feline herpes which causes eye inflammation and respiratory problems. I've been dosing with L-Lysine and adding other supplements (probiotics, B vitamins, Taurine, kitten milk replacer, vitamin E, krill oil) to their food and the kittens seem to be holding their own. Some of them have been making better progress than others, but I am still hopeful. I've been getting the L-Lysine from Amazon and it is way more affordable than purchasing from the local pet stores.

Well, this is all I have for now... off to clean cages and feed the birds.

The stir fry was good. We are watching the movie "InkHeart." Gordy just returned home with another new guitar. He is very excited about it.

InkHeart was good. Now, we are watching "Golden Compass." According to something Gordy read, the baptists don't much care for this movie. I'm in. I guess this is our adult fairy tale stage. Okay by me. This is me signing off for the night.

No comments:

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...