Tuesday, May 04, 2010

The backyard animal kingdom...

...is acting wacked.

As I approached the lil' pond to feed the goldfish this morning I noticed one fish out of water, motionless, hanging against the side. I thought "great. the raccoons have discovered a new food source." Visions of the rampant death and destruction I discovered one morning at the other pond flashed through my head.

Then I realized that the fairly large white goldfish seemed to be attached to some kind of stick. Moving cautiously closer, I realize it is the water snake on the bank who has caught a fish by the head and is possibly in the process of contemplating HOW it is going to swallow this thing that is at least 5x the size of it's own head.

About this time, Chi the rasta-schnauzer (aka luvmuffin or stinkycheeze) has taken notice of the snake on its fishing expedition, and dodges toward the snake, who freaks, as I freak calling to Chi to get away. The snake drops the fish back into the pond and the fish swam away. I did not get a look at the injuries it may now be sporting on its face.

Then as I sat down on the front porch to check out the neighborhood blogs and have my coffee, suddenly, a blast of machine gun-like noise makes me jump out of my chair. I look up and it is a Red-bellied woodpecker pecking/pounding away on an aluminum rafter. The rafter is part of an unfinished cover-structure G made for his little sail boat. The bird continued to peck well beyond the point of realizing the thing is not wood and looked up at me as I laughed at him, as if to say "What?!!"

3 comments:

Jamie Lee Awesome said...

Ewwww snakes. Creepiest animal EVER.

Cheryl said...

Woohoo, here come Chi to save the fish! Good girl! Fortunately my garter snakes don't seem to care for sushi, though I'm sure they've nibbled on a frog or two.

Guess what was sitting ON MY PILLOW yesterday? One of those @#%@* big ass spiders!! Oh my GAWD!!! I killed the sumbitch, and slept on the couch last night.

Bastard. Can you imagine if one of those things walked across your face in the dark?? I'm stripping the whole bed today & doing a search & destroy in the room.

Oofah!

Biddie said...

Cheryl - that reminds me of the time many years ago over in TX when I was awakened by something stinging my face. It turned out to be fireants that had made their way into my house - this happened when I first moved out to the Bolivar Peninsula house and didn't know that the ants had invaded the house - FREAKED me out!!!!

Michael-Ann - what a fascinating incident with the snake - imagine it actually dropping its head into the water to get the fish .... weird. Good brave little dogger!!

I had the same kind of experience with one of those huge woodpeckers - I thought someone was outside the house hitting the house with a hammer.

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...