Sunday, January 30, 2011

Every Friday...


...with dedication she goes to the movie theatre and waits in the lobby.

She does not order popcorn until he arrives:
- because she wants it to be hot and fresh
- because she will not have bits of corn stuck in her teeth when she smiles to greet him

She does not purchase tickets:
- because she does not want to presume which movie they will see
- because she doesn't have money to waste

She brings a short book along to read while she waits for him:
- because she has spent many hours waiting
- because she loathes having to put a book down before it is finished

She refrains from checking the time as she waits.
Eventually, she orders coffee, and slowly sips as she slips into solitude.
She watches couples pour in and out, coming and going.

Time to go home.

8 comments:

Biddie said...

Good morning ... I was reading this while the picture was downloading.

The words progressed from interestingly playful to a vague feeling of uncertainty about something more poignant - then the picture popped into view!

Wow!! Beautifully done!!

Biddie said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Biddie said...

Sorry - I was somehow too quick with the buttons and the above appeared twice - one time seemed more than reasonably enough ...

Cheryl said...

Beautifully crafted. As I have already talked to you I now know you didn't actually interview this woman.

When I initially read this I didn't doubt for a minute that you had sat next to this woman and talked to her.

I can see you doing that, and through your words I can believe in this moment. That, to me, is powerful writing.

Saying that, there is nothing I hate more than reading a story that is so obviously contrived in it's attempts to pull out of you emotions that are based upon stereotypical characters.

I didn't feel that way reading this.

In very few words you left me wondering about this woman ~ her past, her husband, her home, and her future. I want to know that she's ok.

Michael-Ann said...

Wow!! Thank both of you VERY much :-)

It really is encouraging to receive your praise.

Suzanne said...

This picture speaks a thousand words, in my book :))))

Cheryl said...

Procrastinating for a second...ok, dang it...back to chores...FEH!!!!

Cheryl said...

No new post...now I have no excuse to not go clean up possum poo.

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...