Thursday, August 26, 2010

Not been keeping up with the blog very well!

I drove out to Georgia last weekend to bring Gordy his truck. Most of the drive was some really pretty countryside, from the Louisiana swamps to the Mississippi wetlands, one thing stood out in my mind and it is that there still remains some virtually untouched beautiful places in our country.

Most everyone knows it is impossible to take a "normal" pic of Gordy, so despite the fact this is slightly blurry I am rather pleased with my ninja photo skills. I managed to get this one of him when we were on the Coca Cola Museum (In Atlanta, GA) tour. It was interesting, I experienced my first 4-D mini-movie, and we tasted many Coca-cola products from around the world... fascinating, but mostly quite gross!

We also went to the Atlanta Aquarium, which if I recall correctly is supposed to be one of the largest aquariums in the country. I must say, it was a mightily impressive place with some fantastic views.

Yesterday, I went to the college bookstore to pick up my books. As I stood in the line along with a LOT of young students it was the first time I felt a little anxious about going to school. In my arms I had cradled what felt like Dick and Jane books in comparison to the books I observed those around me holding. None the less, I am a little excited about the adventure that lies ahead.

I've only got two classes this semester, English 1301 and American History 1301. I have one huge english book and four smaller books for history. I'll pick up my school supplies later this weekend.

This weekend G has a nasty 100-mile bike ride in Wichita Falls, Texas called the Hotter'N Hell 100. I say it is nasty because the name very accurately sums up the temps. It will be real important for him to keep himself properly hydrated - with his work load he has not been acclimating himself to working out in the heat as he has in prior years.

Gordy will be heading out early tomorrow to get there in time to pick up his race packet. It is about a 6-1/2 hour drive to Wichita Falls. The race is Saturday and he plans to head back home right after he finishes. I kinda wish he would take it easy after the race, maybe spend the night and come home fresh on Sunday, but he is stubborn like that.

Well, this is about all I have in the way of news. Hope all who still come here to check in on me are doing well!

8 comments:

Biddie said...

Hey there .... even with the required ninja manuevers, that's a good picture of Gordy!! He's turned into a really handsome young man!!! So glad he's back!!

You have to tell Gordy Sr. that I say he has to spend the night out there to get some rest and a good breakfast the next morning before he starts out. I can tell him that the only very close call that I've had in years of driving was a nasty spinout coming home late at night from my 2nd scuba pool class!! I was tireder than I realized and I went into a sort of hypnotized stupor without realizing it - I was apparently going too fast and snapped back into consciousness (thank goodness) just as I was heading into a huge log across the road - I think that my bright headlights shining on the log triggered my eyes/brain to react - I swerved, spun out and slid backwards down the highway for about 100 feet.

Fortunately both Hannah Hyundai and I were OK. But tell Gordy to please do not attempt to make that long drive through the night after such an exhausting exercise!!!!! He just doesn't realize how hard it is to struggle against that kind of extreme tiredness - he's much more valuable than the potential gain of a few hours like that .......

Jamie Lee Awesome said...

Mama! You are gonna be fine! Remember how much you liked being in classes last time you went to college? You'll love it! You'll meet new people! You'll be challenging your mind in new ways! It'll be great!

Jamie Lee Awesome said...

P.S. -- Could I have possibly fit any more exclamation marks into that comment? YES I CAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Cheryl said...

I love that smile on Gordy Jr.'s face :)

I love that big sky picture ~ I miss that up here, we have littler sky, lol.

You'll do fine, I understand your nervousness but just remember you're a smart woman and a strong one too. This will be a piece of cake for you. I'm really proud of you :)

Good luck to Gordy Sr.

Cheryl said...

Hope you have a wonderful first day :)

Cheryl said...

Your first day is almost done :) Just wanted to let you know I'm thinking of you and can't wait to hear how it went!

Michael-Ann said...

Howdy womenz! I'm late to the party, as usual!

Mom, I'm gonna have to get you to give Gordy a talkin-to yourself, he won't listen to me - ever. Well, unless I happen to ask for sex. *grin*

Hootie I'm gonna get you a set of pom-poms fer Christmas... thank you hon for your encouragement, sMOOcheeze!

Cheryl, thank you too! I made it through my first day! Since both my classes are "beginner" classes, both teachers spent the whole class going over the syllabus and stressing the importance of showing up every day and turning in your work. I am definitely the oldest student in my classes. :-))) I am beginning to get excited about this now.

Cheryl said...

Woohoo :) Glad to hear you made it through...go an git you some of that there edumacation!!!

The Morning After Jerkiness

It has been that slow creep from silent defense shields in place to tiny snippets of less awkward conversation sometimes accompanied by an o...